Saturday, March 8, 2014

7 Weeks In

I didn't document the weeks in the middle because I wasn't sure that I wanted to. However, I think that it's a good idea to see where I've been and where I get better along the way to give myself some perspective. At this point I am (I think) nearing the end of my first flare, so this doesn't depict where I was at my worst in this cycle. It affected my face, neck, shoulders, chest, and back. Thankfully nothing from the waist down.

Both shoulders were completely scabbed over and raw at the worst part, as was most of my upper back. My chest was bright red and uncomfortable. My neck was the worst (and remains the worst). It developed a thick, rough layer of skin that easily flaked off and itched like hell. I often scratched it bloody. The skin is looking better but still is extremely sensitive. It doesn't feel good to touch it. By "better" I mean there aren't huge scabs, but it's rough and red and has the distinctive "elephant skin" appearance. My face began to swell in the morning, especially around my eyes and lips. I would wake up in a layer of dry, sandpaper skin and almost swollen shut eyes. While still dry, it's not as bad, and the swelling has decreased dramatically.

Neck

Neck, chest, and shoulders

Back

Face (swollen!)

Inside left arm

Inside right arm


I have been taking nightly Epsom salt soaks and using Neosporin (making sure it is without steroids) on parts I scratch open. I want to make sure that I don't get an infection because I don't have health insurance, so I can't go to the doctor if I do. My next step is to order some good essential oils. I have lavender (although I need more), and I'd like to add lemongrass and chamomile.


No comments:

Post a Comment